This was founded in 1998, first proclaimed on the 12th of August. International Youth Day was adopted by the first session of the World Conference of Ministers Responsible for Youth.
It was first hosted by the governments of Portugal and the United States of America in Lisbon on August 8–12, 1998.
- Who Started International Youth Day
- Why is International Youth Day Celebrated?
- Ways to Celebrate International Youth Day
- Promoting Awareness on Youth Issues
- Supporting Youth Initiatives
- Involving the Community
- Celebrating Diversity and Inclusion
- Encouraging Sustainable Practices
- FAQs about International Youth Day
Who Started International Youth Day
The International Youth Day started after the United Nations and Portugal held the conference for the year of the youth.
This was introduced by Pope ‘John Paul II’ in December 20, 1985, in Rome. Then the first youth international day was held in 1986.
Why is International Youth Day Celebrated?
The reason for celebrating International Youth Day is to include the youth in the decision-making process, primarily because they are the leaders of tomorrow.
Also, to draw attention to a given set of cultural and legal issues surrounding youth matters.
They also seek to create opportunities for the youth by involving them in affairs that will better and stabilize their future.
Ways to Celebrate International Youth Day
1. Mentorship Program
Establishing a mentorship program that connects experienced adults with youth.
This will provide guidance, help, and understanding. Allowing the youth to improve themselves and their society significantly.
This will encourage sharing knowledge and will also help the youth learn from the experiences of the elderly.
2. Innovation Hackathon
Host innovation-focused hackathon programs where young minds come together and brainstorm and develop creative solutions to local or global problems.
You can also invite youth or create groups where they will have the opportunity to show their ideas.
3. Story-telling Circle
Host an invite. Bring together the elderly and the youth for the elderly to share their true life stories.
This holds significant value or culture in their life based on experience.
4. Virtual Films Festival
This is done by gathering the youth together for the purpose of showing virtual films or documentaries.
A display made by young employees, which can be about personal journeys, inspiring stories or creative expressions.
5. Talent show
The youth themselves can host talent shows. Display and improve their talent.
This, in turn, improves their skills for feature use.
6. Youth Around the World Quiz
Organizing quiz for the youth around the world, about different cultures and countries. To Celebrate youth diversity
7. Office Time Capsule
Set up a time taking program that allows employees and especially youth around the world to participate.
This is done to contribute items representing their society, their current time, and their aspirations for the features.
8. Community Outreach Day
A day dedicated to community service. Whereby employees and the youth lead or participate freely in community activities.
9. Youth health And Wellness Day
This can be done by establishing workshops, businesses, and organizations on mindfulness, yoga, and nutrition.
Promoting Awareness on Youth Issues
Raising awareness about the challenges faced by young people is crucial for addressing them effectively. Some ways to promote awareness include:
- Social Media Campaigns: Use social media platforms to share information and resources related to youth issues.
- Educational Seminars: Organize seminars and discussions on topics such as mental health, education, and employment.
- Community Outreach Programs: Engage with communities to understand their needs and advocate for youth-related policies.
Supporting Youth Initiatives
Supporting youth initiatives is essential for nurturing the potential of young people. This can be done through:
- Entrepreneurship Programs: Provide resources and support for young entrepreneurs to start their own businesses.
- Mentorship Programs: Pair experienced professionals with young mentees to guide them in their personal and professional growth.
- Scholarships and Grants: Offer scholarships and grants to deserving youth to further their education and skills.
Involving the Community
Involving the community is key to the success of International Youth Day celebrations. Ways to involve the community include:
- Collaborating with Local Organizations: Partner with local NGOs and youth groups to organize events and activities.
- Engaging Schools and Universities: Involve educational institutions in organizing events and promoting youth participation.
- Encouraging Youth Participation: Encourage young people to take an active role in planning and implementing International Youth Day activities.
Celebrating Diversity and Inclusion
Celebrating diversity and inclusion is essential for creating a more inclusive society. This can be achieved through:
- Cultural Exchanges: Organize cultural exchanges to promote understanding and appreciation of different cultures.
- Diversity Workshops: Conduct workshops that address issues of diversity and inclusion in society.
- Inclusive Events: Ensure that all events and activities are inclusive and accessible to everyone.
Encouraging Sustainable Practices
Promoting sustainable practices is important for the future of the planet. Ways to encourage sustainable practices include:
- Environmental Projects: Initiate projects that focus on environmental conservation and sustainability.
- Eco-friendly Initiatives: Promote eco-friendly practices such as recycling, reducing waste, and conserving energy.
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Align activities with the UN Sustainable Development Goals to contribute to global sustainability efforts.
International Youth Day is an important occasion to recognize the potential of young people and celebrate their achievements. By engaging in activities that promote youth empowerment, raise awareness about youth issues, and encourage sustainable practices, we can create a better future for generations to come.
Related: How to Celebrate World Animal Day
FAQs about International Youth Day
How can I participate in International Youth Day celebrations?
You can participate in International Youth Day celebrations by organizing or joining activities that promote youth empowerment, raise awareness about youth issues, and encourage sustainable practices.
What are some examples of activities for celebrating International Youth Day?
Examples of activities for celebrating International Youth Day include volunteer opportunities, youth empowerment workshops, cultural events, sports and fitness activities, and more.
How does International Youth Day promote awareness about youth issues?
International Youth Day promotes awareness about youth issues through social media campaigns, educational seminars, community outreach programs, and other initiatives that highlight the challenges faced by young people.
What is the significance of involving the community in International Youth Day celebrations?
Involving the community in International Youth Day celebrations helps create a supportive environment for young people and ensures that their voices are heard in decision-making processes.